Friday, March 15, 2013

The Mass of all time...

...and all places.  There is a great sense of unity with history when praying in an ancient church or cathedral.  I was at Mass in St Mary's church in Cracow when the news came that white smoke had appeared from the  chimney in Rome...the Mass was being celebrated in Polish, everyone around me was making the responses in Polish, and yet it didn't really feel that different from being at Mass in London (except that, in general, people in Poland are much more reverent).

Then the  priest made an announcement about the white smoke (the lady next to me whispering to me a rough translation as he was speaking), and then we all sang a Te Deum, and went out into the snow square of the Stare Miasta...and then, over supper, the full news came via mobile 'phones and texts and tweets...and so we sat talking about Pope Francisco and what he might be like and what it might all mean for the future...

...and now, here in London, reading the press and scanning the Web to get views and opinions...

And in the Catholic world all is prayerful goodwill, and thoughtful comment, and joy - except for the self-appointed "traditionalists" who have been sending out the most horrible material denouncing Papa Francisco, sneering at him, and passing on rumours and untruths. Ugh.



3 comments:

Edward said...

Not all of us are like that. I love the Old Mass, and want to see it far more widely available, but have been shocked - and pretty hurt - by some of the traditionalists' comments.

They're doing the devil's work, discouraging and separating the brethren.

Tony Flavin said...

Joanna I so love you. Your candour in you most recent posts is so very refreshing.

I have been angered to the point of breathlessness by comments such as 'where can I buy a tambourine' and a Catholic (apparently) priest voicing his disappointment on his well read blog (no, not a Fisher boy)

We Catholics have faith in the Holy Spirit, schismatics don't.

Jimmy A said...

I am filled with joy, hope and excitement as our new Holy Father takes office. Here we have a man who both believes and lives the fullness of Catholic doctrine and who seems to have a winning way with people. I have renewed fire in my belly to get out there and do more apostolate myself. I too loved Benedict and all he did for the liturgy. Whilst Pope Francis' style is simpler I don't think he is going to go around banning TLMs and reversing Summorum Pontificum. Most importantly, if people in the media and elsewhere are encouraged by him to revisit their prejudices and discover the joy of Faith then amen to that. God is good!