Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Auntie has just completed...

...an embroidered picture of St John Paul the Great. Quite hard work, in petit-point.

I bought the kit in Rome during the wonderful days that we were there for the Canonisation. I like to have some sewing project on hand, as quite a lot of my time is spent with elderly relatives, just sitting  and being companionable...and a lot of time is spent on buses and trains. But this particular embroidery was quite complicated, because each tiny stitch matters when you are working to illustrate facial features...and there are  sublties of  colours and shades for skin and hair...finally the thing was finished, and I bought a mount and a frame...

The idea is that we will carry the picture on the John Paul Walking Pilgrimage to Walsingham next summer (Aug 6th-9th...put the dates in your diary, and come and join us! Info here).  So...I thought I'd take the picture to the TOWARDS ADVENT Festival on Saturday at Westminster Cathedral Hall, and get it blessed by Mgr Keith Newton of the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham!  So you'll see me on the platform with him on Saturday...come and be there to share in it all...and please be polite about my embroidery: it may not be the most perfect piece of artwork, but it was done with love and enthusiasm!

No comments: