Saturday, April 04, 2009

A lovely Spring evening...

...and we drove out into the Surrey countryside for a glorious walk, finishing with supper at a pub...the sun was setting in a glow of pink as we walked from the woods just misting with new green out along the path to the open fields, and then the pub glowed warm and inviting as we walked back through the darkening way. Fish and chips. Cider. Memories of visits to this pub over the years. Back past the house where my grandparents lived...Sunday teatimes, picking lettuce in the garden first, to be eaten dipped in salt, and then there would be scones...there was a field at the bottom of their garden, with horses in it, and it's still there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet it is to read this..We are preparing for another snow storm. My husband just said we are going to get between 2 to 6 inches by tomorrow

It might be a White Easter at this rate..all the Easter finery will be hidden under winter coats..boo hoo

There is a saying in my state if you don't like the weather just wait a minute, it will change

One Fourth of July when I was a small girl, we had a cold front move in very quickly..We were downtown watching the parade and shivering because it began to spit snowflakes! There was no accumulation of course ,but it was a really strange occurrence, and one I hope never to see again!

Gerald said...

Joanna,

Thanks for evoking some very pleasant memories! A walk in the woods....cider and fish and chips at the pub...

It reminds me of my time at Cambridge---only one term, but one I'll never forget. I should dearly like to return soon. Can't find cider here in the USA to compare.