Saturday, April 18, 2015

A sudden gift...

... of a happy evening after a slightly frustrating day.

This is a nice story, so enjoy it.

Our washing-machine having finally given up the ghost, we spent a busy but eventually unsuccessful day trying to sort out a new machine and various other neccessary things for the house...

In the evening, I set off to visit a beloved elderly relative in a residential care home...with a big suitcase of  sheets and towels, to take to a launderette on the way back, plus some embroidery to do while the washing whirred.

I started sewing on the bus, and another passenger got chatting, noticing that I was embroidering the words "Our Lady of Walsingham". I felt that I vaguely her.We got off at the same stop, and I mentioned that I was on my way to St W's.  care home, and she said that she knew the lovely nuns who run it...and then we suddenly both remembered that we'd met some years ago, when I'd brought a group of carol singers around all the local houses - and that this lady had welcomed us in and given us wine and mince pies...  "Are you staying overnight somewhere? she asked, indicating the suitcase, and I admitted that no, it was just some washing for the launderette...

"Why not leave it in my machine while you go to St W's?   And so I ended up, after a lovely visit with my relative, back at  this kind lady's  lovely house, and a glass of wine, and lots of chat discovering mutual friends in the local Catholic parish etc etc... and at her suggestion my husband joined us and we all had a very pleasant time, and trundled back home with freshly washed sheets and towels...

A happy evening.

...

No comments: