Saturday, January 31, 2009

Come and hear...

Philip Booth - whose writing I have much enjoyed in the Catholic press and elsewhere - at the Faith Matters lecture on March 18th, at Westminster Cathedral Hall.

Tickets for the lecture - as for all other lectures in the series - are free. Just order one from the link I've give. See you there!

This morning I dropped into the Cathedral and there was a glorious Mass being celebrated, the light shafting down dramatically on to the sanctuary through clouds of incense, stirring boys' voices filling the vast spaces above us with sound, a good crowd of mixed Londoners, tourists, backpackers, odd people with lots of bags, awed onlookers, drifters-in, pious-looking people, not-specially-pious-looking people, all sorts of people...the scaffolding in the ceiling has been removed, though there is lots of work still obviously being done, and more to come. On to the excellent CTS bookshop in the Cathedral Square where I spent far too much money on books by J. Ratzinger. I'm addicted to his theology. Couldn't wait to get stuck into the books, so took a coffee break in the Marks and Spencers just across the road. There is a glorious view of the Cathedral as you turn from there and face back towards it. Walked on to Waterloo in bright winter sunshine, the Abbey stark and white against a blue sky, crowds jostling to get their pictures taken along the sellers of caramelised nuts and hot-dogs on the bridge.

2 comments:

Margot's Corner said...

Hello Mrs Bogle - I'm a bit new to your blog. But I'm familiar with you shows on EWTN, and have on occasion been watching since last year over the Lenten/Easter season. I live in Indiana, and am Catholic. I hope to someday travel and one of the places I wish to visit is England. There was a closing of our Waldenbookstore here in my town and I went to check their sales and got a travel book on Great Britain. God bless! Mary

Anonymous said...

Wonderful image! I can just picture it.