Thursday, April 11, 2013

To Oxford...

...and lunch with Fr Andrew Pinsent. He is research director at the university's  Ian Ramsey Centre for Science and Religion.   I have been enjoying his booklet Lumen. Fascinating discussion about, among other things, St Hilda of Whitby, St Hildegarde of Bingen, Aristotle,   the relationship between the Church and science, Thomas Aquinas, autism, and the roles of women in the Church in various centuries. Loved it.

In the evening, a long chatty time with a young relative...where we also ended up discussing, among much else, the relationship between faith the science, and the role of quantum physics. Golly.  

Also a brief meeting with the young team that produces the excellent Magnificat,  with which I bookend my days.

1 comment:

MarieR said...

Thank you for the link to the Magnificat, Joanna. I'm going to request a sample copy, but am sure I'll enjoy it and will subscribe. The "British" edition for the month of April is available online and I've been using that for daily prayer in the meantime.

I noticed that you use the Jerusalem Bible for your Lectionary. I have my mother's Jerusalem Bible from many years ago and, for the most part, prefer the translation. We use the NAB in the US, and it's awful!