Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Parents of First Communion children...

gathered at Holy Redeemer church, Chelsea.  While the children were having instruction (and being shown Mass vestments and having them all explained etc)  we were in the Monckton Room in the crypt where Auntie gave a talk about the Church's calendar of feasts and seasons, and how this is all part of our rich heritage that goes back 2,000 years and more...

Knowledge is crucial. People have a right to know about the Church's calendar, and so much else: what the name "Bethlehem" means, why it is significant that Christ was laid in a manger,  why there is a pub sign called the "Pig and Whistle", why March 25th is significant, why the number 40 is significant, the origins of the "Jack-in-the-box" toy, and more...and more...

There is a great joy in realising that being a Catholic doesn't mean adhering to a tradition or belonging to a club...it's all about the Incarnation, about God becoming one of us and joining in with us, and dying and rising again: and this is the core of human history, and everything flows from this.

BTW, I am sometimes asked if I  am "willing to give a talk to a local goup". OF COURSE I AM.  Just contact me. Send a Comment to this blog with an email address to which I can reply. I cannot replay to a Comment in the ordinary way - ...I have to have an email address (or phone number), so include one in your Commengt. Obviously, I will not publish the Comment.

PS If you want to know about the things mentioned in the second para, invite me to talk in your parish/school/youth group ...or try my "Book of Seasons and Celebrations"...

No comments: