Monday, March 05, 2012

My London....

...is really Westminster and its environs - the Cathedral, and also Parliament and the places associated with it where meetings and conferences of various sorts happen - plus a good slice of the City where I take groups of history enthusiasts...and of course the southern suburbs where I have made my home for decades and where I've worked on local newspapers, the interlocking places that were once (long ago!) villages and now merge in a muddle of traffic in the loops of the Thames or out along the old roads that reach down to Surrey and Kent...

But there is another London out there to the east, where once the great Docks brought shiploads of goods to a great city, and where, long long years before, Romans and Saxons and Vikings made their way up the Thames to make bridgeheads and encampments and carve out their own chapters of our complicated history...

And that's where I found myself on Sunday. Walking along a great stretch of water,rain lashing down, silence all around broken only by the sudden splash of oars and cries of instruction and encouragement as a rowing team ploughed its way past me.

I was out beyond Docklands, at the University of East London - invited there to give a talk on London's Catholic history. Arrived early and no one - absolutely no one - was around on the university campus by the ancient stretch of docklands water. I walked with God in the rain, pondered history, said the Rosary, relished it all...

Made my way back to the station to be met by Father Thomas of the Community of St John, entrusted with the chaplaincy at the University. Warmth and friendship in the pleasant Chaplaincy room. Next door, a lecture hall transformed into a chapel with icons and altar and candles. Students - mostly Africans - gathering. Mass,with singing led by young men with strong voices. Atmosphere of great devotion. A cheery gathering afterwards for my lecture.

It was a wonderful morning, and then a ride to Canning Town where the Community of St John is based (busy parish, over 800 regular Massgoers, plus chaplaincy of a big secondary school etc etc...) lunch, much talk, and I borrowed a fascinating book about Mother Teresa for the journey home...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanna,
Enjoyed "My London" & also enjoyed your March 5 EWTN appearance on "The Journey Home" with Marcus Grodi. You were very thought-provoking, and the hour was delightful.
Sheila A. Waters
Bronxville, NY USA

Colleen said...

I'm so glad I saw you last night on EWTN's Journey Home. I was also very glad I had set my DVD to tape this episode :)

This is my first visit to your blog and I'm looking forward to checking it out every day.

Although I'm a convert to Catholicism, I feel as if I've always been a Catholic in my heart. There was such a draw for me for so many years, but I was not allowed to pursue my desire to convert from Methodist because my parents objected so strongly. Now, after so many wasted years of trying to please them (which I never did) I'm sorry I didn't listen to that inner voice telling me what I should do. I did not convert until I was in my late 20's (I'm now 65) but didn't practice my faith until much later in life because of a marriage to a non-Catholic. I envy you so much that you were brought up with your Faith. I have so much to learn about it. Sort of a "catch-up", if you will :) The very odd thing when my mother passed away in 2006, she had joined the Catholic church a year before through the urging of her caregiver. All those years she literally hated Catholics and yet she became one. God certainly does work in mysterious ways :)

I haven't found my church "home" yet. We've lived in this area for 4 years and I've gone back to Mass starting this Lent. I missed the first Sunday of Lent, but last week went to one of the Catholic churches here but did not feel a "connection". Does that make sense? I'm going to go to a different church this Sunday. I know what I'm looking for because I've felt it so strongly in the past. Is it wrong to "shop around"??

Michael said...

Like Colleen, if it weren't for ewtn, I would not be aware of your blog, but as I am now ; watch out. :)

I was aware of you and your husband though. I thoroughly enjoyed your series on the Crusades and I still continue my "studies" through a great YouTube subscription 'real crusdaes' as well as many books I continue to try and debunk the myth of them being an act of aggression rather than the act of defense they were. My friends flee the dinner table when someone inadvertently brings them up for fear of my strident response. Lol. Anyway, I will enjoy your blog. I live on the east coast of the USA and used to work for a company out of high wycombe. I really miss my many trips to London. Your blog hear about "your" London takes me right back. Thank you!

Pearl of Tyburn said...

"Your" London and East London both sound like thouroughly fascinating places to ponder the stretch of human history, the good, the bad, the mysterious. I'm afraid I'm only able to relate to it through books, films, and songs at this point, but I do so to the fullest extent possible!

The introduction of the film a "Man For All Seasons" does a fine job of bringing the Thames River to life. I am always inspired by the Tudor period music that seems to flow along with the current, carrying the royal messenger to Thomas More, and Thomas More to his destiny.....

I also love a folk song called "In London So Fair". Have you ever heard of it?

Anonymous said...

I just saw you at EWTN and your testimony is one of the best (although all of them were very good!) and I was taken by your wit, humor and candidness about Britain....especially what you said about Pope Paul VI and Humanae Vitae......I have to goggle you and got to your blog..thanks for writing....

-by a Filipino in the US.