Sunday, February 01, 2009

Yesterday evening...

...Jamie had to go to a Rather Grand white-tie-n-tails do, and just when I was cosily settled at home with some work on my newest book (English Catholic Heroines, coming along nicely - chapters written by different people on great heroines of the past. See parallel book, already out, on Heroes, a good read), my mobile phone rang. Could I find, in the relevant drawer, this-or-that absolutely crucial part of his outfit? And could I come now and meet him at the station, where he was hurrying to change and whizz off? He'd been at a meeting all day. Surreal scene: two Bogles in dark street near suburban station, one struggling in bitter cold wind and flint-like bits of snow to undress and get into elaborate evening dress. The other handing over bits of equipment and struggling against laughter while trying to show sympathy for plight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture this! What a classic situation. What did he forget, his shirt studs? White tie! i am very impressed, Aunty.