Sunday, February 01, 2009

Snow...

...dusting my face as I cycled to Mass in a bitter east wind. Too cold for Mother and me to go out to our favourite local cafe, so we stayed snug inside and drank tea and talked...the wind was even more icy as I made my way back across the suburbs, and now the flakes are falling softly - as I write this the street in front of the house is shrowded in white and there is the beginning of that sense of great silence that snow always brings...

A friend from Australia (Dr Tracey Rowland - have you read her excellent book on the Pope's theology? DO) writes that they are having an exhausting, frightening heatwave there, temperatures in Melbourne higher than ever recorded before, elderly and frail people suffering. How ghastly - I hope for their sake that it breaks soon ("And we can bless again/ the drumming of an army/ The steady, soaking rain")...

No comments: