Tuesday, September 11, 2007

To St Mary Moorfields...

...in London for a meeting of The Keys, the Catholic Writers' Guild - the first after the summer break. Speaker was Mgr Henri Brincard, Bishop of Le Puy in France, who gave us a superb talk on the Holy Father's encyclical Deus Caritas Est.
It was really illuminating - I had not really considered the full impact of this remarkable document. Speaking to a culture obsessed with the notion that the Church is always saying "No!", always nagging people about not doing things, Papa B. asserts the biggest truth of all: that God is love, and loved us first, and that the essence of Christianity is to be found in this and in our response to this love...
Autumn with all its freshness and new activities is upon us. Yesterday was Mother's birthday and I cycled over for a cheery lunch with her (pizza at an Italian restaurant) and then Tea with the neighbours, M. and I serving cakes and pouring tea like anything...
I have spent most of today working on plans for my next EWTN series - I fly to Alabama to record it in October - and some interviews, also for EWTN, which I'll be recording here in London before I go.

3 comments:

la mamma said...

"M. and I serving cakes and pouring tea like anything..." Oh, auntie Joanna, you make me laugh. We met years ago and you seem to be just the same; I can imagine you revelling in the busy-ness of the affair, up to your elbows in jolly muffins etc. All power to those elbows, Mrs. Bogle and many happy returns to your mother!

Anonymous said...

What the real revelation is;
God has said "no" to certain things in this world because of His love for us. He is our creator and who knows what is bettter for us than the creator?
Our sinful nature wants to divulge into all sorts of areas that are in the end very distructive-Gods love wants us to walk in His wisdom and true fullness of life which is TRUE freedom. Sin leads to bondage.

Anonymous said...

What is your next EWTN series about?