Friday, October 29, 2010

Auntie has won...

...an apron, in a national poetry project!

I bought an excellent pie the other day for my lunch. It really was delicious, and it was made by a company of which I had never heard - Higgity Pies. And on the box was an invitation to send in a poem about the pie! It might get chosen for publication on the Higgity website, and one might even win an apron...So I got writing, and you can read my poem here..

This is very exciting, and is the first verse I have written for publication since I was nine years old and won ten shillings in a competition run by Princess magazine...

And Higgity pies truly are delicious! Lovely, lovely buttery pastry, and delicious fillings with mushrooms and different creamy cheeses,and all sorts of good things. And properly made by a real, independent, enterprising company run by a friendly team. Go and find some.

5 comments:

Clare@ BattlementsOfRubies said...

A lovely poem, Well done!

Anonymous said...

Dear Auntie Joanna,
A very nice poem! I see those contests often on the back of Debbie cakes boxes but never got up the courage to enter one! Your work of art sounded just a bit like a combination of "A-Wassail" and Gen. James Wolfe verable, "How Stands the Glass Around...My Boys, My Boys?" Almost makes me want to break into song!

God Bless,
Avellina

Elizabeth said...

Very catchy and well done. I thought on first reading your post it was an apple pie, but on reading the poem realized it must have been much more. It made my mouth water...

Clare said...

Lovely poem! and I love how you brought God so naturally into it....

pattif said...

Hmmm. If you have only ever written two poems for publication, and each has won a prize, does this suggest a new line of work? Just wondering....