Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Yesterday...

...was the 3rd anniversary of the July bombing in London. By coincidence, I was doing yesterday exactly what I was doing on the morning of July 7th 2005, namely, going by Tube to Paddington to take the train to Berkshire to oversee the gathering together at a big country house of all the essays for the national Schools Bible Project.

In 2005, I was in the Underground when everything got delayed and confused...no one knew what was happening...a "power surge", we were told...crowds at Baker Street being pushed this way and that... everything terribly hot... it was only on arrival at my final destination that I was greeted with white faces and people saying "So you're all right! We'd been so worried!" that I heard the news of the bomb and realised why we had all been caught up in such confusion at Baker St and elsewhere...As all the trains into London were then delayed or cancelled I stayed on in the country that night.

And now here we were again, gathering at Ufton Court, for the sorting of the thousands of essays on New Testament themes sent in by pupils at schools across Britain...

No comments: