Monday, March 17, 2008

This week...

...I walked in procession in our local parish to mark Palm Sunday (albeit only under cover from the hall to the church - it was raining hard) , and will tomorrow (Tuesday) attend the Chrism Mass at Westminster Cathedral where along with other members of the Association of Catholic Women I'll be handing out small thank-you cards to priests as they arrive for the annual blessing of the sacred oils.

Yes, I'm more or less recovered from flu - thank you for the kind enquiries.

I think one probably doesn't Blog on Good Friday, and after that Jamie and I will be at various family gatherings celebrating Easter, first in Oxfordshire and then in Somerset. Which brings me to a nice story about apples...

Last September in Somerset the trees were just laden with the most wonderful fruit, and at the Sacred Heart Church in Minehead, the nice parish priest urged anyone who wanted any apples simply to go into the presbytery garden and gather as much as they needed. I carried away a great bagful, and in due course chopped and bottled some in syrup. Last Thursday and Friday nights, when I coughed and coughed and couldn't sleep, I found that just a few spoonfuls of this lovely soft sweet fruit was the most delicious and soothing thing for a troubled throat. Seemed to carry a blessing from a Somerset garden. Thank you, Father.

No comments: