Saturday, September 01, 2007

Crab apple jelly...


...is not complicated to make, though it takes a good many crab apples to produce just one jar. I gathered the crab apples - there's a little tree simply bowed down with them - from the same place where I gather blackberries and rose-hips, which is the local cemetery. The bit where the blackberries grow is alongside the Moslem bit. The graves are all slanted, as they think they have to point towards Mecca. The cemetery is vast - it was created at the end of the 19th century to serve the rapidly-growing suburbs of Greater London. There are a number of famous people buried there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The crab apple jelly looks wonderful, Joanna. Today I have gathered elderberries and am making jelly with them. I have not tried this before, but so far it smells very good. I might make some blackberry jelly too - still have lots of jam left from last year.

Amette

gemoftheocean said...

What a beautiful jar. Is the photo of one of your own? Around here the canning jars are round that I've seen.