Friday, November 29, 2019

I was at London Bridge today...

...for the lunchtime Mass here,  chatted for a bit in the Rectory office, and then  went for a sandwich.  On opening the door into the street - drama!  Helicopters overhead, clattering loudly....police sirens wailing...people hurrying...some one told me to get into shelter quickly... so without delay I headed for my usual cafe...

At the Pret a Manger in the Borough High Street, information coming in, and a sudden request - "We have to lock the doors. If you want to leave - do so now, but the way towards the bridge is closed...."  Apparently  there was  police concern that the terrorists - by now everyone was talking about a terrorist attack - might be trying to make a getaway down the street. The young staff were excellent. They served us all free tea and coffee - wouldn't take any money for my lunch either - and while obviously excited by what was happening in the street outside, remained calm and organised.  Of course, like lots of other people I took to my laptop to find out what was going on. "Oh, it probably isn't a terrorist attack" I said "it's just another of these ghastly fights...gangs..."  But no: it turns out it was indeed terrorists, and as the drama unfolded I was drinking tea and finishing emails ... while the young staff went from table to table asking if we were all right.

No Tube at London Bridge, so  in due course I made my way home via Waterloo. No sense of panic as dusk fell...commuter crowds seemed as usual, and if terrorists are trying to make Londoners freak out they aren't succeeding so far. The Prime Minister  struck the right note in his statement...

No comments: