Saturday, March 18, 2017

At a ceremony today...

...at St Mary's University, I received my Master's degree in Theology from the vice-chancellor, Francis Campbell. It was a moving ceremony, with the academic procession entering  the chapel to the sound of trumpets, a service of prayers and hymns, and the calling out of our names as we went forward one by one in our academic gowns and caps.  The hood of the MA gown is lined with rose-coloured  silk of the shade used by Bishop Richard Challoner, hero Vicar Apostolic of the London District in the 18th century.

It was so lovely to have family and friends with me to celebrate this day...a day that I will remember for always.

After the ceremonies, there was an excellent lunch in the Waldegrave Room, in the splendid Gothick Strawberry Hill House, and then we enjoyed the lovely grounds in pale spring sunshine.

Bogle celebrations continued with a dinner in London along by the Thames...I am now writing this late at home surrounded by flowers and cards and with  a grateful heart...

7 comments:

Malcolm said...

Well done Joanna.

Must be hard to complete a master's whilst still running a busy journalist's career.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I really love your writing, particularly your blog. Keep up the good work! From the USA... Mary

Tony Flavin said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ZG6HJVKuQ

Unknown said...

Congratulations from Canada!

Should you ever have time - you must never sleep - I think you could write the most wonderful Mystery series, starring someone living your life exactly. I struggle to try things here but Ontario is not so cosy and varied historically.Plus I cannot write like you!

You could just re-use material from these wonderful blogs! I thought first about it when you were describing a trip on a train several months ago. Every person and place you experience just come alive.I always yearn to be along to enjoy it all as well, and am always left wondering just what happens next.see wahat comes next!
I could easily in a book. Here's hoping. geraldine clark

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanna,
Feel free to publish. For some reason, your blog only accepts our comments as anonymous.

My sister, Nancy, and I were delighted to hear the wonderful news of your Master's degree in Theology. It is a splendid accomplishment, and we are so proud of, and happy for, you. Our warmest congratulations!

Sheila A. Waters
Bronxville NY
USA (across the pond)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Joanna!

Catherine said...

Congratulations and well done Joanna!