Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Mild and enjoyable adventures in a London summer...

..with an evening History Walk starting at St Patrick's, Soho...too warm for a long walk, so we gathered outside the church, and pottered along past the St Barnabas House of Prayer with its satisfying roll-pennies-down-the-metal-tube-on-the-railings slot for donations, and thence to St Giles-in-the-Fields and along to Holborn, and the Ship Tavern where  Bishop Richard Challoner used to meet Catholics to give them spiritual encouragement and catechetical instruction in penal times. Then to SS Anselm and Cecilia and finally to Lincolns Inn Fields... we lingered there chatting and then as we dispersed one couple invited me to join them for a meal...and so things finished with a delightful dinner, delicious pasta and white wine and much lively talk on books and historyand people  and ideas and more...and then as things drew to a  close I wrote down their email  address on the big paper menu/napkin and we hurried to Waterloo to catch late, late trains home...

And then...oh, horrors...I lost the napkin the next day, before I'd had a chance to write my thank-you email...sitting with some young friends I was asked to demonstrate how shorthand worked, so took the nearest bit of paper from my bag, and started to write on it - and then we left the table, and it got cleared away...oh, Mr and Mrs W., I'm trying to reach you with my thank-you message for a delicious inner and an unforgettably enjoyable evening, and I hope you might be reading this!

No comments: