Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mornings at EWTN...

...begin early, with a full sung Mass at 7 am. Then, if you are working on a TV series or linked project, there is  breakfast - a good one, with scrambled eggs and toast and something called grits which is a form of porridge and tastes of finely minced cardboard - and then one hurries to the studio. A morning's work (I'm not giving away too much about the new series...it's about Marian feasts and will, I think, work quite well) and then lunch, and if you missed Mass, there's a midday one.  Afternoon work finishes at 5pm, but there are evening things happening including the programme with Father Mitch Pacwa: Auntie will be on that this week. The guest houses all have Marian names and are comfortable and well-equipped. For Americans well-equipped includes a kitchen with packets of popcorn that you can cook in a microwave, and huge quantities of ice (the weather is already HOT here in Alabama, and in high summer it can be quite ghastly). Sitting here, working on tomorrow's projects, under the benevolent gaze of an icon and with Our Lady looking gently down from a picture in the adjoining kitchen, things feel peaceful...

Discussion over supper, however, had ranged from the moral collapse of the West to the rise of Islam, the future of Europe, the realities that face young Catholics in Britain, the European mainland,  and America over the next years...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...something called grits which is a form of porridge and tastes of finely minced cardboard…"

Ah, I see that you have not yet warmed to this particular southern delicacy. Might I suggest adding lots of butter, with some salt and pepper? Or, for the more timid palate, one could pour on a bit of maple syrup.

When might we enjoy your company in Greenville again?

Best wishes on your EWTN project.

Anonymous said...

Shrimp grits (a Charleston classic) are really quite delicious, as are cheese grits with peppers.

Those who sneer at the idea of eating grits often have no problem whatsoever with eating cream of wheat. Grits are cream of corn.

Bill LaMay said...

Hi Joanna. I saw you on EWTN last night and loved your comments on a garden for Mary. I am starting from scratch on a landscaping plan and want to design it around the saints, including Mary. What books or websites could you suggest that I go to to get some ideas on designs and flowers, etc. for my yard. My email is billlamay@windstream.net if you would like to contact me directly.
Thanks and God bless.
Bill LaMay
Matthews, NC (USA)

Joanna Bogle said...

Grits...many thanks for the various tips. I will arm myself with these on my next USA visit...and yes, Id LOVE to come to South Carolina again!

A Mary Garden: I did a lot of research and can honestly only suggest tapping "Mary Garden" into the Internet - there's a lot of info out there. I hope to do some more features on this topic on EWTN...

Auntie J.