Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This morning...

I went to Mass at the lovely Catholic residence where a much-loved elderly relative lives. I normally visit in the afternoon or evening, and this was the first time I'd been at the daily Mass in the chapel. It was a beautiful experience. 

Sometimes - and this was such a time - there is this wonderful sense of being utterly at home in the Church, of knowing that this is where we all belong.  Celebrating the Mass was Bishop Howard Tripp - whom I have known since I was a teenager - and concelebrating with him was Fr Scott Anderson, of the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, who was there at my suggestion because we had arranged to meet and this was a convenient place and time. Despite the age and frailty of many of the residents, all joined in the responses, and received Communion with great devotion...while other memories get confused, and life can seem very muddled when you are very old, the Mass remains a constant, and I found it a most powerful experience to be there witnessing that. And a kind volunteer visitor at the Home was serving the Mass - and came up to chat afterwards, reminding me that we had known each other years ago when I was a Borough councillor in the Borough of Sutton...it was so good to talk, and to reminisce...

The Advent candles glowed on the wreath - just one more to be lit next Sunday - and in the big room next door a large crib stood in the wide bay window, awaiting the Christ-child. Bishop Tripp spoke about St Joseph, and his role in the Christmas story, and the whole thing came alive...

This morning Mass gave a glow to the whole day.

No comments: