Friday, March 15, 2013

I'm beginning to tire...

...of the media trying to stir things up by seeking to stress differences in lifestyle between Popes Benedict and Francis.

Pope Francis has many admirable qualities. But to suggest that he is the first Pope in history to live a simple and austere life is a bit absurd. Pope Benedict lived in a modest flat near the bus depot before he was elected to the Papacy, and walked every day to work with his battered briefcase. People often assumed he was just an ordinary priest, and asked him the way to tourist sites, etc, only discovering afterwards that they had been talking to the famous Cardinal Ratzinger...

John Paul II lived in complete poverty, gave away everything, even a warm coat given to him in the bitter cold, and shoes...the sisters who looked after him as Pope  despaired because he wanted them to give away any new clothes and insisted on wearing old ones until they were beyond any further mending. When he died, he left almost no possessions except a photograph of his parents, and his worn old scapular...






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there is someone else who is thinking about this.
I love Pope Francis' simplicity, but I would have loved to see him wear the Papal vestments and hear him chant the Apostolic blessing instead of just saying it. There is a place for ceremony and pageantry, and this was such a place.
I'm not nitpicking at him. I loved his spontaneity, but I missed the traditional presentation as well. At least wear the red shoes!
Ok, I'm finished venting. Thanks for your wonderful blog.
Anna. from Guam

Anonymous said...

I think my last post was too long...so I'll just say..."well said". Viva Papa Francisco!

Ramil said...

THANK YOU!

Well said...playing off one pope against the other only serves the purposes of those who hate the popes to begin with.

Ann said...

I've heard all the kerfluffle over Benedict's using "3 pages of Latin", while Francis is more off the cuff. They just approach things differently; it's like picking on Mozart for not being Bach.