Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Whenever I talk...

...to Catholic teachers, parish priests, or simply to active lay Catholics, there is unanimity on one particular subject - a great disappointment about the Bishops' current abolition of Holy Days. Moving a feast day to the nearest Sunday just doesn't work. The feast gets effectively lost - it all just feels like a Sunday Mass. .Schools, in particular, now miss out. They have been robbed of opportunities to celebrate together, teach the children about the particular feast, have a glorious Mass with special music prepared by the choir etc, and enjoy some special treat to mark the day. The Bishops' scheme has made it just that bit harder to bring the calendar alive for children - and show us all that being a Catholic isn't "just for Sundays".

Time for a re-think. There is no shame in announcing that an experiment has been tried and a fresh decision made in the light of its experience.

3 comments:

Malcolm McLean said...

I think the phrase "Holy Day of Obligation" has a lot to answer for.

Obligation is when you have to visit your senile mother-in-law. Children don't talk about their birthday party of obligation, and adults don't have stag nights of obligation, or rounds of obligation when their football team wins the league. So why Masses of obligation?

I think the fightback could come if we declared St George's day to be a national holiday, with free beer.

pelerin said...

In complete agreement. Curious to see comment by Malcolm McLean as I never considered the term 'Holy Day of Obligation' in this way.

I see that Christmas Day falls on a Saturday next year. I do hope that is not moved to Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.