Monday, March 16, 2009

A delightful evening visit...

...to the team running Youth 2000, the young Catholic evangelistic group - they've just moved to a new HQ at Balham, and I met them there to do an interview for a Catholic paper. The team was sitting, rather self-consciously, in a formal sort of waiting-to-be-interviewed way, but we all soon relaxed and I was rather touched by their obvious sincerity and by their huge enthusiasm for the Faith. In a London with exudes an air of gloom and confusion at present - I'm not referring to the economic worries, but to the indefinable but horribly definite feeling of social disconnection,of faithlessness, of violence and distrust which somehow pervades Britain's life at present - meeting this group was a real tonic. They seemed so ...well...normal. And cheerful, and looking forward to things. I found myself thinking dramatically as I pottered back home on my bike - was it a bit like this when Christians met in a decaying pagan Rome, and found joy and faith together? Anyway Y2000's next events include various Retreats at different places across Britain, plus a fund-raising ball in London and then the big annual Festival at Walsingham in August... Find out more by clicking on to that link.

No comments: