Tuesday, January 06, 2009

While stacking away...

...the Christmas decorations, I came across two old newspapers that had been lining a box. They had been specially selected for the task because they were commemorative editions (Times, Evening Standard), published to celebrate the Royal Wedding of 1981. It was unnerving to leaf through them as I threw them out. It wasn't just all the joyful celebratory reports that made sad reading - it was the realisation of how much else has changed in 30 years. Today, crime - especially lethal stabbings by and of children and teenagers - and family break-up are on a vast scale compared to that of 30 years ago, a whole sense of community identity has slithered away, marriage itself is officially regarded as a minority option not to be discussed except with complementary references to alternatives, and a common language expressive of a sense of unity with our history has been lost.

With the house tidied up (a bit) and arrangements in hand for my forthcoming visit to America (off on Saturday v. early) I settled down with one of the best Christmas gifts I have received - William Hague's excellent biography of William Wilberforce. It is exactly the right book to be reading at the start of a New Year, with its detailed and vivid unfolding of a life of hard work and patient endurance in a large and worthwhile cause. I had told myself initially that I would save it for the long flight to America, but it's been too inviting and I am now engrossed...

3 comments:

torchofthefaith said...

Dear Joanna

Alan read this very book a year ago at Christmas time - and it's a worthy read - hope you can get chance on the Trans-Atlantic flight!

We used to do those twice a year whilst at Steubenville and well remember the beauty of flying through the night and into the red/orange band of sunrise - fantastic!

The only thing with 'Wilberforce' is that it's a little bulky for travel! (We never managed to travel light - too many books by Pope Benedict XVI/ John Paul II et al!!!)

Have a safe journey
God Bless
Alan and Angeline

Anonymous said...

Dear Auntie J
If you don't like "stewed tea", remember not to order tea over here in the states. Most of us here have now idea how to brew tea.(or what a ROUSING boil is)

Anonymous said...

Thurs.Jan.15,2009
Dear Joanna,
I have to tell you that I saw you
on--the live show in Alabama,USA
with Father Mitch Pacwa,last night.
You were wonderful, so much so that I am seriously thinking of changing from my Protestant religion to the Catholic religion!
I even plan to visit a nearby
Catholic church this Sunday morning! You are just so inspirational and I do appreciate that So much!
I ask for prayer asking God if this is the path for me.
Suzanne in South Carolina