Monday, October 06, 2008

Today...

...was a day of odds and ends...a man came to mend and paint the ceiling of the bathroom and bedroom(leak from the flat upstairs) . This entailed much transporting of books from the bedroom shelves to the floor of the small den where I work. Books, books...Jane Austen and Walter Scott, jostling with Palgrave's Golden Treasury, G.M. Trevelyan's history, Newman's Arians of the Fourth century, (which I will need for my Divinity course and was v. glad to find), and E. Nesbit's Treasure Seekers, and other childhood books including the enchanting Lord of the Rushie River...then a great deal of cleaning and reorganising, and the transporting of books back again...everything clean and pleasing, and two suitcases of general clutter and papers to be taken gloriously away...

1 comment:

PJA said...

I wanted to buy a copy of Palgrave's "Golden Treasury" as a gift one Christmas. Being in Chester, I thought Waterstone's, by the Cross, would be my best bet. Unable to find one on the shelves, I asked an assistant for help. She tapped away at her computer and became quite agitated when, after several attempts, nothing came up. She let me down gently by saying, "We don't have anything by Paul Graves". Haha!