Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday afternoon...

...is usually spent with Mother, sometimes a gentle stroll in the park and a visit to a teashop or perhaps, as today, a game of Scrabble over cups of tea at home.

Bike temporarily not available, so I took the train. Sunday means repair-work on the line, so there were buses to take us by road for part of the way. We trundled off from Epsom in absolutely the wrong direction... I wondered if the driver knew a shortcut but no - he was simply heading blithely out towards Reigate. After a while, he had second thoughts, turned the great bus round - with considerable difficulty in a narrow road - and trundled us back to Epsom. Then, uncertainly, slowly, hesitatingly, along the right road, with a worried air, evidently uncertain. I felt some one ought to take charge. With me giving directions, and calling out announcements ("Anyone for Carshalton? Change at Sutton!") we went along very efficiently. It was most enjoyable, all the passengers entered into the spirit of the thing and we all rather enjoyed the journey. I do wonder how he managed after I got off, though. I did show him the way on the map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one Joanna. Most of the time it just takes one person to do what many are actually thinking but do not have the courage-do I see a pattern?