Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday June 29th
Feast of St Peter and Paul. Yesterday I went to the Vigil Mass at Westminster Cathedral. The magnificent statue of St Peter near the main doors - the one with the foot worn smooth because so many people touch it - was, in traditional style, dressed for the feast with a cope and a Papal crown. And because it was the feast of St John Southworth earlier this week - hero priest of the Great Plague and a true London saint - his relics had been brought from their usual chapel and placed for some days in the centre of the nave, surrounded by red flowers and six tall candles. So the Cathedral had a solemn and festal feel. Glorious music as usual...

And, for the lady who wrote to this Blig asking if it was me, in pink, in Victoria Street: yes, it was. Next time, do stop and chat!

Opposite the cathgedral are a couple of telephone kiosks. Needing to phone Mother to confirm I was on my way, I dropped in to one of them. A youth had just emerged, having filled the wall with the usual stacks of nasty cards offering sexual services. I whisked these out, and dropped into the next kiosk to do the same. A convenient litter-bin was ready to recieve them. Could I make a plea that we all do this every time we pass a phone booth? Oh, I know the wretched cards get put up again by the sad people who earn money via the girls...but even getting them out for a short while makes a sort of contribution to civilisation...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that we tolerate these cards. Since the prostitute has got to make contact with an unknown client, it would be the easiest thing in the world for the police to stamp it out.

Jay said...

It is a very good idea, the only problem is to keep the eyes shut, otherwise one looks at the incredible filth of the photos included on these cards, it is dreadful. However, I will try to follow your example.

Anonymous said...

I would advise waiting until the person posting these vile cards has gone out of sight. I was once assaulted by a man who saw me removing his handiwork from a 'phone box in the Aldwych.

Anonymous said...

It was brave of you, Joanna, to remove those cards. Surely, some years ago, legislation was passed making it illegal to post them and authorizing local authorities to remove them? I seem to remember that in Mayfair there was a noticeable improvement. There seem to be fewer than their used to be and perhaps it is courageous people like you who are responsible. They defile the streets as no other and make using telephone kiosks unendurable.