Tuesday, December 12, 2017

"Gaudete, Gaudete...

Christus est natus, ex Maria virgine, Gaudete..."...carolled the choir of St Mary's University, Twickenham. It was the annual Carol Service - the choir is very good and the candlelit service was utterly delightful...but not crowded. Many students alas don't relate to the University's Catholic life - the chapel is always open and welcoming, the heritage is there for all to share, but for students who have never had any link with Catholicism, it all just seems remote, a world they do not know.

However there is a good core of active young Catholic students, and the traditional service was a grand start to what promises to be a satisfying amount of carol-singing for me, as a friend is organising singing at a big local hospital tomorrow, and then there is Youth 2000 in Oxford Street at the weekend, and LOGS at London Bridge Station next Tuesday...

After the carol service, we had wine and mince pies in the Shannon Suite and I met some local residents, former students who will be of help with my work on the University's history.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My late Father went there when it was a teacher training college in about 1928.
One of my regrets is not visiting the college when I lived in London (1962-64) I hope you will share your research, are you planning to write a book Auntie J?

Elizabeth said...

I see you are writing a book AJ, I just checked the link. I will be interested in
buying a copy when it is printed.