Wednesday, October 28, 2015

To Lewisham...

...where, as in so many parts of London, there are massive building works - huge concrete tower-blocks to dominate the place, a swirl of bleak traffic slicing through once-familiar roads and destroying the sense of community life. Ugh.

St Stephen's church is a sort of haven...a  fine building, a magnificent interior, friendly people:  I was made most welcome. They had invited me to speak on "Christian feasts and seasons". It was the Feast of SS Simon and Jude (I went to Mass earlier here) and with All Saints/All Souls coming up, and Advent, and Christmas, and more, this is a good time of year for such a talk...

On train journeys at present, I am working on a fresh sewing project: a kneeler for a school chapel. The colours are blue and gold, the lettering fairly easy...but I fear that tackling the school crest is going to be beyond me. People like to watch, and can't resist asking "What is it you are making?" and one has some pleasant conversations.

1 comment:

Frank said...

Your talk on the liturgical year was a treat. Ecumenical, informed, encouraging and something I'd recommend to any parish. Weeks afterwards, those who heard it were still enthusing about how they would like to hear you speak again. Many thanks for a very lively, generous and spirited talk.