Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pass it on...

Read on:

On Tuesday evening, on the Tube, I realised I had lost my wallet - a nightmare as of course it has my cheque-card etc in it, and I was due to travel to the West Country for a speaking engagement... I was anxious about getting home as I had no money for a taxi, and when I telephoned J. about this, a fellow-passenger overheard me and said "Let me help - I'm getting a taxi and would be very happy to get you home!" She insisted and got me safely to my house, refusing all offers of let-me-have-your-address-and-I'll-pay-you-back" etc and we both agreed that I'd simply pass the goodwill on next time I saw some one in need of help...

Fast forward to Taunton railway station the following night, and I'm asking the way to my hotel. A lady standing nearby says "We used to live next door to that hotel - my husband is coming to meet me here in a couple of minutes. We'll give you a lift there..."

Two acts of random kindness within 48 hours...but would I get the chance to pass on the goodwill?

Next day, back at the station, I'm deep in Weigel's The End and the Beginning about Bl John Paul and a young man hurries to the ticket office in something of a panic "I've left my wallet on the train..." The ticket collector is helpful and starts various enquiries...and the young man has no cash and is in exactly the position I was in two nights back. "Here" I said, handing over a tenner...

And we chatted and I told him briefly about what had happened. He said he will pass the goodwill on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really heart warming Joanna

Carol R Cortes said...

It is really heartwarming when people you dont kow offer their help. Probably in the same situation, I would be glad to offer my help also. I hope there would be more people who are sensitive to the needs of others.