Saturday, June 18, 2011

Children...

...at St Edmund's prep school, Ware, praying together at the start of a school day...it was a great joy to be there and to be handing the trophy for this year's Schools RE Project to young winner Joshua Best, whose essay on the Rosary won him First Prize in the Years 5-6 section. The school also won a large number of runner-up prizes. The Morning Assembly was beautiful - a boy read from the Scriptures, the Headmaster led everyone in prayer, and there was such a good and happy atmosphere.

Afterwards a group of children showed me round - they are very proud that this is England's Oldest Catholic School (recusant traditions, martyrs etc) but this doesn't stop it having all the latest computer equipment etc, small tots in red jerseys doing sums at computer screens, whiteboards in classrooms with all sorts of displays etc.

In every classroom, children automatically stood up as visitors entered, chorused "Good morning!" in response to greetings, shot up hands to answer questions...and everywhere there was a sense of welcome and friendlines...

On to London where I was due to meet a group gathering at Westminster Cathedral to board a coach for Birmingham for the InVocation event at St Mary's, Oscott.

Crowds of young priests and nuns and brothers, plus young visitors all jeans and packbacks, big marquees and tepees on Oscott's lawns, a hot supper waiting, Evening Prayer in the beautiful chapel...this extraordinary event is something you MUST learn about...auntie will be reporting over the weekend...

2 comments:

Julia said...

I want my children's school to enter this competition next time. I must ask you about it when we meet.


Julia

Julia said...

I want my children's school to enter this competition next time. I think I will approach the R.E co ordinator myself. I must ask you about this when we meet.


Julia