Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Sunday.,..

...I went to the Jesuit Church at Wimbledon. This has an interesting history and a while back the parish did a drama presentation about it, narrated by Dr William Griffiths - a good friend and a fellow-member of the Catholic Writers' Guild - telling the story of the remarkable Mrs Edith Arendrup through whose dedication, foresight and generosity this great church was built. By chance, William arrived in my pew on Sunday - we shared a hymn book! Much rousing singing of Credo III. I was sorry that I had to slip out before the "Domine salvam fac..." that they always sing for the Queen after Mass ends...I had to hurry away to Wimbledon station to meet a priest visiting from America to whom we had promised lunch...I arrived a bit breathless but just in time...

A glorious walk on Wimbledon Common, much talk. It was great to meet Fr Paul Check and we much enjoyed his company. He was in Britain to attend a conference and establish links to develop the work with which he is involved - it is badly needed here. The Common was lovely in spring sunshine and we had a good pub lunch.

I've been reading and HUGELY RECOMMEND Peter Seewald's new book Benedict XVI, an intimate portrait. Ignatius Press, USA: I bought my copy at the CTS bookshop in London. The book tells the story behind the interviews between the author and the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger a few years ago - you can trace the author's own development of faith, told with honesty and humour - and there are fascinating insights into the life of the Pope and into the current tensions in the Church today. I simply couldn't put the book down and have been carrying it everywhere to read whenever I get the chance...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an excellent cover photograph of the Holy Father on the book - best I've seen! Shows him looking animated and engaged.