Thursday, August 07, 2008

A glorious...

...evening at the Faith Summer Session. These events bring back happy memories of my own youthful attendance at this annual summer gathering organised by the FAITH Movement, with good speakers and a wonderful atmosphere. This time, after a particularly busy day, and a complicated journey by bike and train, I arrived at Woldingham School, rented for the week, and cycled down that beautiful valley road. It was a fabulously lovely evening. The folds of the hill were lapped in evening sunshine. The cows moo-ed agreeably in the meadows. I sang. And, just coming down the lane towards me, was a friend, O., who greeted me joyously - "Joanna! I was just thinking of you!" She had brought along something needed for my mother's house - she's a wonderful friend and with her husband has been visiting M. to chat and be cheerful - and it was perfect timing by Providence that brought us into the lane together...

On to the school, and hugs and greetings from my wonderful nieces and nephew and friends...joy, joy. Much talk and catching-up on news with all sorts of people. Then Evening Prayer in the chapel. What a huge crowd! Two or three hundred crammed in, and pouring out of the doors at the back into the summer evening...the strong voices of this great asembly of young people in a roaring wave answering up the prayers, going turn-and-turn about with the verses of the Pslams. Then the hymn "The day thou gavest, Lord...." These are moment you want to hold in your heart for always...

A lively evening of entertainment was to follow, with a concert and talent show, everyone enjoying themselves. I talked to many friends old and new. There are always so many priests at these FAITH events, including lots of young ones. Then I had to get home. The weather was now hot and humid - and suddenly broke into a magnificent thunderstorm. I cycled back through the last of it, revelling in the rain. Lightening lit up the sky across the hills in great zig-zags. I sang again. Sitting in the quiet station all alone I got on with some work, refreshed and exhilirated. Home to Jamie and mugs of tea.

No comments: